Imagine the scene: the sun is shining and The Eagles are playing on the radio as you pull up to a traffic light in a sporty convertible with a fresh coat of wax and dice in the mirror. There is only one problem – a gaping hole in the convertible top!
Now that spring is here, convertible owners may be eager to drop the top and let their hair blow in the wind. Before you do that, be sure your convertible top is ready to debut.
Oftentimes, owners procrastinate repairing or replacing their convertible tops until it is absolutely necessary. Here are a few good reasons to be sure the convertible top is in good condition just in time for Spring.
- Preserve the interior. If any seals are broken or compromised, moisture that seeps in can damage the interior of the car which affects the cushions, carpet and small crevices. Mold and mildew can begin to set in and it may be too late by the time you notice it.
- Over time, the top loses its elasticity and color as the top goes up and down repeatedly. The cracks become holes, and eventually these holes allow moisture in and that ultimately damages the interior.
- The convertible’s straps and ties need to be assessed for cracking, binding and aging caused by the constant raising and lowering of the top.
- The motor system that makes the convertible top go up and down should also be evaluated. If there is tension and uneven distribution of weight when the top is raised or lowered, it may be time to replace the top to avoid damaging this motor.
- A badly worn or discolored convertible roof can diminish the value of your car, and the condition of the top is often a major factor for prospective buyers.
- Installing a new convertible top is not just about taking care of a fun feature for the open road; it can also deliver better safety and protection for the vehicle.
For the past 70 years, Banister’s Auto Upholstery has provided complete auto upholstery services for drivers in metro Atlanta. Whether your convertible top has a small tear or a big hole, our team of experienced professionals can meet or exceed dealership standards.
With a material library that is unsurpassed in the Southeast and a reputation for precision care, our team goes above and beyond to restore your top to perfection.
Give us a call today to get your convertible top back in top condition!