Leather seats add a classy, sophisticated touch to your car, but without proper care, these leather seats can ruin the overall look of your vehicle.
So how can you prevent your leather from cracking during the brutal winter months? The Banister’s Upholstery team specializes in auto upholstery, and we can give you a few tips.
We are uniquely qualified to take care of any kind of upholstery repair or custom project – just give us a call today to schedule an appointment.
- Vacuum your seats with a soft bristle attachment to get rid of the loose dirt, dust and debris without scratching the seats.
- Clean leather seats with a damp towel and professional-grade leather cleanser to keep them conditioned. Avoid using strong soaps or cheap cleaners with harsh cleaners made with petroleum, glossing agents or silicone oils because they can cause long-term damage.
- Condition your leather seats with a high-quality, water-based solution that is pH balanced. Use the conditioner and applicator to soften and extend the life of your seats.
- Avoid the sun because it dries out the leather surfaces in your car including steering wheel and dashboard. Using a sun shield and window screens minimize direct sunlight exposure if you have to park outside in extreme heat conditions for an extended period of time.
- Be careful with foods and drinks in your car! They can ruin your seats, so be sure to clean up as soon as there is a drip or spill on your leather seats.
- Keep a microfiber cloth handy so you can wipe debris or drips off your leather seats quickly. Microfiber cloths are delicate, which helps you clean and moisturize the interior surfaces effectively.
- Keep bulky, sharp objects off your seats as often as possible. Tools, pet carriers, toys and other items can easily tear the seats, especially when they are placed directly on the seat. Always use a towel or sheet underneath any items that may potentially tear the surface.
Even with proper care, accidents can happen – and wear and tear is inevitable through the years. When friends and kids contribute to cracks and tears in your leather seats, it is important to repair them quickly.
Banister’s is a full-service upholstery company that can help you with you with the repair and restoration of your car’s interior surfaces. This includes carpet, seats and doors in addition to convertible tops.
Let us help you keep your leather seats clean, conditioned and cared for through the winter months and all year long.